The European e-Competence Framework
The e-Competence Framework, is a tool to describe the skills of professionals in ICT-related roles.The e-CF is a reference for job and role descriptions, skill development, training and education.The framework has been developed by a large number of European ICT and HR experts in the context of the CEN Workshop on ICT Skills.The European e-Competence Framework is structured from four dimensions. These dimensions reflect different levels of business and human resource planning requirements in addition to job/ work proficiency guidelines.
The four dimensions of the e-CF are specified as follows:
- Dimension 1: 5 e-Competence areas, derived from the ICT business processes:
PLAN – BUILD – RUN – ENABLE – MANAGE
- Dimension 2: A set of reference e-Competences for each area, with a generic description for each competence. 36 competences identified in total provide the European generic reference definitions of the e-CF 2.0.
- Dimension 3: Proficiency levels of each e-Competence provide European reference level specifications on e-Competence levels e-1 to e-5, which are related to the EQF levels 3 to 8.
- Dimension 4: Samples of knowledge and skills relate to e-Competences in dimension 2. They are provided to add value and context and are not intended to be exhaustive.
The 40 e-competencies of the e-CF
Click on the competency code in the list for the full description.
e-Competence: Title + generic description
A.8 Sustainable Development
Estimates the impact of ICT solutions in terms of eco responsibilities including energy consumption. Advises business and ICT stakeholders on sustainable alternatives that are consistent with the business strategy. Applies an ICT purchasing and sales policy which fulfils eco-responsibilities.
e-Competence proficiency levels (on e-CF levels e-1 to e-5, related to EQF levels 3 to 8
Promotes awareness, training and commitment for the deployment of sustainable development and applies the necessary tools for piloting this approach.
Defines objective and strategy of sustainable IS development in accordance with the organisation\’s sustainability policy.
|Knowledge examples||Knows/ Aware of/ Familiar with:
- K1 metrics and indicators related to sustainable development
- K2 corporate social responsibility (CSR) of stakeholders within the IT infrastructure
|Skills examples||Able to:
- S1 monitor and measures the IT energy consumption
- S2 apply recommendations in projects to support latest sustainable development strategies
- S3 master regulatory constraints and international standards related to IT sustainability
Back to list